Friday, January 20, 2012

Making Time for the Family as a Martial Artist

Does your wife (or husband), ever say that they'd like you to be home more often?

For many, martial arts is simply a hobby. But, for a select few, it is something much more.  These unique people realize that to truly get the most they can out of the martial arts, a significant amount of time and energy has to be put into it.  Unfortunately, unless you are single, or have found a way to stretch out time, all that time you spend in martial arts could mean time away from the family.  Take my story as an example.

This is a schedule that represents my time out of the house, away from my family.  All of this is on top of my full time job.

Monday - 5:15 - 6:45
Tuesday - 6:15 - 9:00
Wednesday - 4:45 - 8:30
Thursday - 6:15 - 9:00
Friday - Free day
Saturday - 2-4 hours at the studio
Sunday - Free day

(Extra stuff, ie: visiting other studios/instructors, tournaments, etc takes place a few times a month, usually on my "free" days)

By no means am I a full-time martial artist (yet).  However, it is pretty obvious that, on top of my full-time job, I spend a significant amount of time away from home.  Even with my current load, I want to spend even more time training.  I have two projects now that I want start (experimenting with Bruce Lees workouts, and a 100,000 technique challenge) but I'm not sure exactly where to fit them without reaching the breaking point with my family.

Even if you have a family that is fully supportive of your training, it is still extremely important that you recognize their needs, which may not always be spoken.

Many have heard the old adage, "Quality over quantity".  It may be that this is the key with both your family and your training.  What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts! I also request that you ensure that all comments are courteous and productive to the conversation. Thanks!